Learning To Play Hockey - Your Turn
Live your hockey dream!
How many times have you watched hockey players flying around the ice and wished that you knew how to play? It is not too late, if you are older than 18, and want to learn, we will prove to you that you too can play. Keep reading below, taking the program will be the best thing you have done for yourself in a while.
Discover Hockey is 14 sessions that run approximately once a week, at the end of it you will become a hockey player, that we can promise! Just ask the thousands that have discovered hockey for themselves already, and are still playing.
What you get:
- An unbelievable hockey experience and an opportunity to realize your hockey dream
- 8 on ice, skill development sessions with qualified instructors
- First 2 sessions focus on skating and stopping
- 2 off ice orientation/classroom sessions
- First session is equipment orientation
- Second session is rules of the game and positioning chalk talk
- 4 NCHL games vs. the other beginner teams formed during the program
- You will be playing against the players in the other program sessions, same skill level as your team
- Program fees are 469+GST in most locations, however check pricing for Calgary, Edmonton and Richmond to be sure. You can also save $50 per person if you register in a group of 3 or more players. Each player will receive the $50 buddy bonus and any other players joining later who are part of your group get the same deal!
If you want to see what the program is all about from a complete newbie perspective, check out this series by Juris Gurney of the Edmonton journal who took the program recently. Aussie on ice, blow by blow account – learning to ice skate and play Canada’s game.
Your orientation will start in a local hockey store with your NCHL instructors and the stores hockey equipment experts. This session will focus on educating new players on the essentials of the game – from the bare necessities like how to fit skates and helmets, to some lesser-known and often forgotten hockey tips. Where should you be spending your money on equipment and what to expect from the program.
Click HERE for a recommended equipment list.
Also, CBC did a story about the program back in 2013, check it out!
8 on ice sessions will start with the backbone of hockey; skating. Our instructors will run a series of drills designed to teach you to skate like a hockey player, even if you have never had a pair of skates on in the past. As you progress through the program the focus will turn to the game of hockey, and how you’ll begin to play it. You will go through offensive and defensive positioning, puck movement, as well as game play. You will not only become a hockey player, but you will also understand the game better and have more fun playing it.
Between the fifth and sixth ice sessions you will head back to the classroom where the NCHL instructors will outline the team concepts behind the game of hockey. Have a look at the Beginner HandBook.
This session is also used to organize the team aspects of the program. You will pick a team name, General Manager and Captain, as well as discuss the option of ordering personalized jerseys and continuing to play in the NCHL at the conclusion of the program. After all, this is what it is all about, playing hockey on a team with friends.
At the conclusion of instruction part of the program, you and your team will play four games against other NCHL beginner teams, complete with referees and a scorekeeper. Use your new skills with your teammates and start playing the game you love. After the Discover Hockey Program is finished, you will have the option to join the NCHL and continue playing league games. To do that, you and your team will choose a general manager who will receive all registration information and will take care of registration details. We are here to help you with any questions about starting a team and will guide you all the way so you can continue playing the best game on the planet for years to come.